Re: RAID1 install fails

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 12:50:25PM -0300, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * W. Borgert <debacle@debian.org> [2004-05-31 12:13]:
> > GRUB message on vt3:
> > /dev/md0 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
> >
> > LILO:
> > An installation step failed. (...)
> > failing step is: Install the LILO boot loader on a hard disk.
>
> I don't know how to get LILO and GRUB to boot from RAID.  I thought it
> might just work... anyone got a good idea?

Bulk hackery, that's how.

See http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/05/msg03665.html

This worked for me insofar as I got GRUB to install, but I didn't seem to
have a menu.lst, despite the above saying I should have. I had to do further
hackery at a grub prompt along the lines of:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz ro root=/dev/md0 md=0,/dev/foo,/dev/bar
initrd /initrd.img
boot

where /dev/foo (and optionally /dev/bar) were the members of my /dev/md0.
(Optional, as in my case, I was trying to build a degraded RAID1).
If you have an md1, add "1,/dev/baz,/dev/blaz" to the above incantation.

Once I managed to boot into the sucker, I recreated my initrd for good
measure, and ran update-grub, and it built a menu for me. It wasn't for the
faint of heart at all.

HTH

Andrew