Re: RAID1 install fails

Andrew Pollock wrote:

On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 11:06:16PM +0000, W. Borgert wrote:
On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 06:35:41PM -0300, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * W. Borgert <debacle@debian.org> [2004-05-30 18:40]:
> > /usr/sbin/mkinitrd: RAID support requires raidtools2
> > Failed to create initrd image.
>
> root on RAID is currently not supported, due to the bug you just saw.
> With newer d-i images, you should get a warning of root is RAID or
> LVM.

Does somebody have the bug number or at least the name of
the package the bug is filed against?  Because I'm keen to
do a complete RAID1 install, I would like to test again as
soon as the bug is closed.  TIA!

Well the problem is with mkinitrd from initrd-tools. And it used to work.

Is initrd-tools being maintained by the new kernel team also, in Herbert's
absence?

If this is the same problem I ran into when installing to root on LVM on RAID, mkinitrd's only problem is that it's missing the mdadm program. Simply adding mdadm to the list of packages to install as part of base should fix the problem. See my post on installing to root on LVM on RAID for details:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/05/msg03665.html

If just installing to a RAID device, you don't have to work around the mkinitrd behavior of defaulting to LVM1 when both LVM1 and LVM2 are present, so simply installing mdadm prior to the kernel should allow mkinitrd to complete successfully, meaning you can install to root on a RAID device.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles@steinkuehler.net