Re: Installation on external USB harddisk? [and other issues]

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 05:50:00PM +0200, W. Borgert wrote:
> Quoting "W. Borgert" <debacle@debian.org>:
> > Quoting Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com>:
> > > * W. Borgert <debacle@debian.org> [2004-05-27 19:33]:
> > >
> > > So what does the kernel print before it dies?
>
> pivot_root: No such file or directory
> /sbin/init: 418: cannot open /dev/console: No such file
> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
>
> The workaround described in
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/05/msg03728.html
> did not work :-(

I'm interested why it did not work. Does kernel complain about
being unable to load those modules?

Also, I am using Grub. (Sorry for not mentioning it earlier). With
LILO, the boot loader has to be reinstalled before exiting from chroot.

Przemek.