Re: call for help: quik- (oldworld ppc) installer (d-i skills needed, not powerpc)

Hi,

> > btw, isn't mkvmlinux
> > (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/mkvmlinuz) suitable to create
> > boot floppies for oldworld ?! (I currently don't have a monitor for my
> > oldworld mac but I'll get one until the weekend.)
> I'm in a similar situation and will try it soon; I only heard about
> mkvmlinuz today.

Has anybody tried now ? ;)

> > d-i installer installs quik just fine, and quik (at least for my powermac
> > 4400/200) creates a good quik.conf, except for the refered link to
> > /boot/vmlinux. /boot/vmlinux-2.4.25-powerpc-small exists, but the link to
> > /boot/vmlinux is missing. I think this is a bug in
> > kernel-image-powerpc-small.
> No, we can fix this in rootskel, and we need to fix it anyway for yaboot
> (see a couple of merged bugs against yaboot-installer). I've got the
> change in my working copy, and it just needs testing.

Could you please point me to the exact location in rootskel's code? I just had
a brief look at the contents of rootskel_0.75.tar.gz but couldn't find it.

> > if someone would be willing to help start with a quik-installer I would
> > happily help that person and (co-)maintain it and collect open firmware
> > settings for specific mac models.
> I'll try to check in what I've got over the weekend, unfinished and
> untested though it is.

That's great! Until then I'll examine the build at
http://people.debian.org/~luther/debian-installer/daily-powerpc-built/2004.05.15/powerpc-small/floppy/
and post the results.

regards,
	Holger