Re: call for help: quik- (oldworld ppc) installer (d-i skills needed, not powerpc)

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 01:27:15AM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as I don't have the time to dig into debian-installer to write a
> quik-installer by myself, I would like to explain what I think is needed.
>
> btw, isn't mkvmlinux (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/mkvmlinuz)
> suitable to create boot floppies for oldworld ?! (I currently don't have a
> monitor for my oldworld mac but I'll get one until the weekend.)

I'm in a similar situation and will try it soon; I only heard about
mkvmlinuz today.

> d-i installer installs quik just fine, and quik (at least for my powermac
> 4400/200) creates a good quik.conf, except for the refered link to
> /boot/vmlinux. /boot/vmlinux-2.4.25-powerpc-small exists, but the link to
> /boot/vmlinux is missing. I think this is a bug in
> kernel-image-powerpc-small.

No, we can fix this in rootskel, and we need to fix it anyway for yaboot
(see a couple of merged bugs against yaboot-installer). I've got the
change in my working copy, and it just needs testing.

> I know bash well and perl a little, but (by now) I have no clue about d-i
> although I had a brief look at debian-installer/tools/(*/)*-installer... if
> someone would be willing to help start with a quik-installer I would happily
> help that person and (co-)maintain it and collect open firmware settings for
> specific mac models.

I'll try to check in what I've got over the weekend, unfinished and
untested though it is.