Re: install from full CD

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 11:49:17PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:

> Ah, got it -- the netinst CD includes discover1, but this is not on the
> full CD (which does include discover), and its postinst is what creates
> the link. I've put a workaround for this kind of thing in base-config,
> but not installing discover is also a large problem. So once again the
> discover "transition" bites us. We need both discovers on the full CD,
> and if there is anything else on the netinst but not on the full CD, it
> probably needs to be added to it. Someone should check.

While preparing a fix for the /media issue in discover1 I thought about
removing this feature from discover1. IMO there are 2 good reasons to do this:

1) discover (Version 2) does not have this feature, so it will go away in
the long run.
2) I doubt that it is really usefull because it does not add entries to the
fstab and if you have an external cdrom the device names can change if you
plug/unplug this device.

However I don't know if there are some parts of the system that rely on
discover1 setting up these links. What do others think about it?

Gaudenz