Re: Software RAID support

On Sunday 02 May 2004 03:16, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Now that beta4 is out, what are your plans of getting mdcfg and
> partman-md uploaded to get some testing?

As I am not sure how to go about it, I have no plans. But I am very
interrested in getting them uploaded, so that we can get a larger testing
base.

> What's the status of these programs?

Actually, they are quite useable. mdcfg currently only supports RAID1, but it
can easily be extended.

There are three major showstoppers for a sucessfull installation with software
RAID right now:

1) Neither the grub nor the lilo installer can handle md-devices it at all.
They fail miserably when both /boot and / partitions are md-devices.

2) The initrd image generated by mkinitrd only activates the first md-device
for some weird reason.

3) There is no official mdadm-udeb package as of now. A patch has been sent to
bug #243609 ("a udeb would be nice"), but has not yet been applied.

Those showstoppers were relevant 14 days ago. I haven't tried it lately, due
to time constraints, but I guess they might still be problems.
I hope to have time to look at it all this weekend.

Cheers,
--
Paul Fleischer // ProGuy
<proguy at proguy dot dk>