Re: Experimental countrychooser branch

[Sent to debian-boot only]

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 07:05:38AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Denis Barbier (barbier@linuxfr.org):
>
> > I made a branch to test some changes in countrychooser:
> >   svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/d-i/people/barbier/countrychooser
> > or
> >   svn://svn.debian.org/d-i/people/barbier/countrychooser
> >
> > The main goal is to get rid of iso-codes for English country names,
> > and replace them by those found in ICU, which are much more neutral.
>
> I have already explained why I do not support this choice. ICU claim
> they use ISO-3166 AND ONLY IT as a reference.....though they do
> not for TW *without explaining why*. So, I do not see it as more or
> less neutral than ISO-3166, but just less strict.

No, as it was already mentioned, they claim using ISO 3166 *country
codes*.

> The TW issue is becoming slowly a non issue as ways of translating the
> one and only name which is controversial in iso-3166 list arises.

It is also an issue in French since we (well, you) are bound to official
French names.

> The letter to ISO-3166 secretary will be soon sent as soon as I get
> approval from DPL. Depending on the answer we get, we may decide
> whether we deliberately choose to deviate from the standard for this
> very particular topic.

It has already been answered here, Taiwanese government tells that
ISO-3166 is using United Nations's official names and won't change
them.

> But, if we do deviate, WE WILL EXPLAIN WHY.....and do not do it
> silently just like ICU does.
>
> And because this will be a deviation from an accepted standard this
> will be validated by our Technical Comittee.

I fail to see wy this is needed.

Denis