Re: beta4 status

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 11:54:07AM +0200, Nikolai Prokoschenko wrote:
> >  -Nikolai, same for Russian
> I'll have a spare box to install today - my mom gets an old p2-233 for
> running kde-games packages, which will also act as a DSL router, so let's
> see, what the installer is capable of ;)

So, a couple of notes, the installation hasn't run as smooth as I hoped it
would, also because the box has too little RAM. Have used the latest
netinst mini-CD (i guess, it was the *0425 CD)

1. When started in "normal" mode (i.e. just hitting enter at boot:
prompt), languagechooser's item for russian is extremely cut (about half
of the line is gone). starting with "linux vga=791" gives the full line

2. The window presenting me the possible choices for the area I live in
("you are probably in one of these countries") has the country names in
English. selecting "other" presents a localized window

3. I guess it's not considered a bug yet: booting using "linux26" couldn't
even detect my CD-ROM drive ...

4. Something has gone terribly wrong with locales: after the reboot (until
then everything was too plain and unexciting, hence automagical ;) nice
auto-partitioning from partman) the locales package tries to generate a
locale named "ru.ISO-8859-1", which is of course wrong. I would expect
ru_RU.KOI8-R and would wish ru_RU.UTF-8. Because of this, base-config and
others are using english for the messages.

5. base-config asked me for the root password with an echo - the string
prompting for the password is repeated in a slightly changed form a line
below.

6. base-config: apt sources configuration comes before I can setup my
pppoe connection - which comes at an unknown point of time during the
installation.

7. Positive: XFree86 has detected my video card etc., while I don't
believe it would do so for nvidia cards, never mind the drivers.

--
Nikolai Prokoschenko
nikolai@prokoschenko.de / Jabber: pronik@jabber.org