Re: installing debian on S-ATA drives

George Papamichelakis wrote:
> I'm trying also the current dailly build  of netinst and I'm having  the
> same
> problem plus this : when I activate the second console and try to manually
> load the sata_via module the first console becames unusable (black& red
> scrambled text)
> fot no apparent reason (to me at least) . This happens with kernel 2.6 ,
> with kernel
> 2.4 everything is going smooth but no sata  :(
> The machine is an AMD64  3000  and I'm almost fed up trying
> to make it work with woody & sata drives  :(

The scrambled console problem is bug #245207. I'd suggest working around
it by not switching virtual consoles; instead start the installation in
expert26 mode, and use the menu item to start a shell prompt and load
the module at the right place.

Probably your SATA controller is not listed in the discover2 database,
which is why the installer did not know to load that module. If you can
send us the output of lspci on your machine, we can fix that.

--
see shy jo