Re: Suggested: New installation option

"Michael Banck" <mbanck@debian.org> wrote in message
[🔎] 20040423162507.GA29739@blackbird.oase.mhn.de">news:[🔎] 20040423162507.GA29739@blackbird.oase.mhn.de...
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 04:33:27PM +0100, Samuel Liddicott wrote:
> > The final clue I have had:
> > http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch04s07.html
> >
> > Can this be true for partial answer sets or must it be complete; that is
> > say the installation is either entirely automatic, or entirely manual?
>
> Debian-installer is very flexible and (relatively) easy to modify. For
> example, I believe the s390 port needs telnet running quite early I
> believe, so you could look at this and adopt it for ssh or whatever you
> want.

Thanks Michael, I should have thought of this!

>Also, if your network cards gets detected (which should be the
> case), the network will be configurated automatically via DHCP. You'd
> need to somehow preselect the language question, I believe this is
> possible as well.

In fact using the boot string: DEBCONF_PRIORITY=critical
the only question that needs pre-selecting is the language. I'll have to get
the source for the d-i package then; I just hope there is a nice simple
"build a d-i disk image" reciple that I can modify rather than do it all by
hand.

> Debian-installer is currently being polished for the next Debian
> release. I suggest you help with the release in whatever way you can -
> afterwards, development can continue for less common situations like
> unattended installs. It's certainly possible, but the main focus right
> now is to get the release out of the door. You can always implement what
> you need yourself of course.

Currently I am, in the form of a slightly modified root-fs image, but I like
to get such features built in to save me work next time!

> Note that I'm not a paart of the Debian Installer team so this is not an
> authoritave answer in any way, I'm just trying to be helpful.

Thanks

Sam