Re: Suggested: New installation option

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 04:33:27PM +0100, Samuel Liddicott wrote:
> The final clue I have had:
> http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch04s07.html
>
> Can this be true for partial answer sets or must it be complete; that is to
> say the installation is either entirely automatic, or entirely manual?

Debian-installer is very flexible and (relatively) easy to modify. For
example, I believe the s390 port needs telnet running quite early I
believe, so you could look at this and adopt it for ssh or whatever you
want. Also, if your network cards gets detected (which should be the
case), the network will be configurated automatically via DHCP. You'd
need to somehow preselect the language question, I believe this is
possible as well.

Debian-installer is currently being polished for the next Debian
release. I suggest you help with the release in whatever way you can -
afterwards, development can continue for less common situations like
unattended installs. It's certainly possible, but the main focus right
now is to get the release out of the door. You can always implement what
you need yourself of course.

Note that I'm not a paart of the Debian Installer team so this is not an
authoritave answer in any way, I'm just trying to be helpful.

cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Banck