Re: Installing a minimal Debian SID on a 128 Mb USB drive / Compact flash

Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> With the avalaibility of powerfull mini-itx motherboards (like the VIA Epia
> series), the limit between embedeed and normal computers is shrinking.

I'm with you, though I upgraded my 32 mb debian install on compact flash
to 256 mb a few months ago. Much roomier. :-)

> I bought the required hardware (128 Mb USB sticks) and tried the beta 3
> installer which stopped for lack of disc space.
>
> Therefore my questions are:
>
> 1) Are there add-ons, patches available to create a minimal install suitable
> with Flashcards?

One thing you could try is the flashybrid package, though you'll have to
install to media that are large enough and do some hacking to copy it
over to your flash and get it going.

> 3) As a similar question, do you plan to add a RAM disc option in the
> installer, which would perform the required steps to mount /tmp and
> possibly /var in memory.

Well flashybrid does that, I have not considered integrating it with the
d-i yet though.

The annoying thing is that 128 mb of flash is enough to run Debian in,
but due to an infelicity of debootstrap it is not enough to install it
in. Debootstrap insists on retrieving the entire debian base system as
debs, and only after it has them all on disk, all wasting space, does it
unpack them. So you need 1.5 times the finished system size to install
Debian. There are two ways to make this better, either make it download
debs one at a time before unpacking them, or make it smarter so if it is
installing from a file:/ uri, don't copy the debs over at all, just make
symlinks.

--
see shy jo