Installing a minimal Debian SID on a 128 Mb USB drive / Compact flash

Dear all,

First of all, thank you for this great job on the new Debian installer. I have
been using it since beta 1 without too many problems. It rocks!!!

With the avalaibility of powerfull mini-itx motherboards (like the VIA Epia
series), the limit between embedeed and normal computers is shrinking.

For example, my mail server, routers and firewalls are all VIA Epia cards.
Now, I would like to replace their hard drivers with USB drivers (recognized
by default).

I bought the required hardware (128 Mb USB sticks) and tried the beta 3
installer which stopped for lack of disc space.

Therefore my questions are:

1) Are there add-ons, patches available to create a minimal install suitable
with Flashcards?

2) Are there plans to publish a stripped-down kernel (3 Mb) suitable for
routers and network appliances in SID, which could be selected from the beta
installer? It would probably rock.

3) As a similar question, do you plan to add a RAM disc option in the
installer, which would perform the required steps to mount /tmp and
possibly /var in memory.

4) Are there plans to add compressed FS options in the installer? It may help
in breaking disc space limitations. The absolute dream would be a RW cloop
like extension or a RW compressed FS.

Any help and ideas are welcome. I am looking for solutions compliant with the
beta 3 installer.

Cheers, Jean-Michel