Re: Removing boot loaders from debootstrap?

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 12:38:39AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Martin Michlmayr]
> > Well, I think it's kinda ugly to install delo on a mipsel sub-arch
> > which doesn't need it at all because it has its own boot loader.
> > How do people from other arch think about this?  I intend to request
> > removal from delo from debootstrap, but maybe we should do the same
> > for other bootloaders.
>
> I believe debootstrap should not install boot loaders by default on
> any arch.  d-i is capable of installing extra packages as needed, and
> because of this, I believe debootstrap should install as little as
> possible.

Agreed.

> But of course, the d-i boot loader installers need to be updated to
> install the extra packages before debootstrap is updated to drop the
> package.  I'm not sure if this has happened on all archs yet.

Indeed, code for this needs to be in a released d-i beta before
debootstrap is updated, so that the currently released beta doesn't get
broken by the removal.

(On powerpc, yaboot-installer's now fixed for this, post-beta3, but
there's no quik-installer yet so that has to stay where it is.)