Re: How do I avoid Grub?

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
> Walter Landry wrote:
> > I am trying to use the beta 3 installer for sarge, and I've run into a
> > problem.  I want all of my partitions, including the root partition,
> > to be XFS.  If you do that, then you get a warning that Grub probably
> > can't handle that.  Fine, I think.  I'll just use Lilo.  But no matter
> > what I do, the installer always wants to install grub, even in expert
> > mode.
>
> In expert mode, you move the cursor down to lilo and hit enter. In
> normal install mode, you go back when it asks about installing grub, and
> pick lilo instead.

In normal install mode, if I go back and install lilo, then when I try
to "Finish the installation and reboot", it wants to install Grub again.
The only way I can get past it is to "Continue without boot loader".  When
I actually reboot I get

  Grub Loading stage1.5

  Grub Loading: please wait
  Error 17

In expert mode, a similar thing happens.  "Finish the installation and
reboot" insists on installing Grub.  If I never select the Grub option
and just reboot the system after installing Lilo (without
"finishing"), then Lilo is not actually installed on the disk.

Basically, it really wants to install Grub.

Thanks,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu