Re: How do I avoid Grub?

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 10:43:00PM -0400, Walter Landry wrote:
> Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
> > Walter Landry wrote:
> > > I am trying to use the beta 3 installer for sarge, and I've run into a
> > > problem.  I want all of my partitions, including the root partition,
> > > to be XFS.  If you do that, then you get a warning that Grub probably
> > > can't handle that.  Fine, I think.  I'll just use Lilo.  But no matter
> > > what I do, the installer always wants to install grub, even in expert
> > > mode.

> > In expert mode, you move the cursor down to lilo and hit enter. In
> > normal install mode, you go back when it asks about installing grub, and
> > pick lilo instead.

> In normal install mode, if I go back and install lilo, then when I try
> to "Finish the installation and reboot", it wants to install Grub again.
> The only way I can get past it is to "Continue without boot loader".  When
> I actually reboot I get

>   Grub Loading stage1.5

>   Grub Loading: please wait
>   Error 17

> In expert mode, a similar thing happens.  "Finish the installation and
> reboot" insists on installing Grub.  If I never select the Grub option
> and just reboot the system after installing Lilo (without
> "finishing"), then Lilo is not actually installed on the disk.

> Basically, it really wants to install Grub.

This sounds like a problem with lilo-installer not succeeding.  I think
I ran into the same bug (for the same reason -- XFS system), but
unfortunately had no time to document the install attempt.

If lilo-installer exits with non-zero status, the bootable-system (iirc)
dependency will not be satisfied, and d-i will again try to configure
the highest priority module that provides this functionality, namely,
grub.

I ended up creating my lilo.conf by hand to get past the blockage, since
I was more concerned about getting the box installed at the time, but
I'd certainly like to see this tracked down.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer