Re: [parisc-linux] Re: if something is not done, hppa will not have an installer for sarge

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 08:13:15PM +0200, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> Richard Hirst wrote:
> [snip]
> > > I think just reducing the command line would be the best option.  Why's
> > > it so long?
> >
> > This is the cmdline when booting from the aforementioned ISO:
> >
> > Command line for kernel: 'ramdisk_size=8192 root=/dev/ram      devfs=mount,dall
> > init=/linuxrc DEBCONF_PRIORITY=high console=tty0 sti=8/24 sti_font=VGA8x16 TERM=
> > linux palo_kernel=0/vmlinux'
>
> > Note palo has added at least
> > "console=tty0 sti=8/24 sti_font=VGA8x16 TERM=linux palo_kernel=0/vmlinux"
> >
> > which looks like 71 of our 127 chars - hence my comment about
> > whether or not the 127 char limit is supposed to include the
> > bits added by palo.
> >
> > If we just take the part that is passed to palo when the ISO is
> > mastered, I guess that is
> >
> > "ramdisk_size=8192 root=/dev/ram      initrd=0/ramdisk devfs=mount,dall init=/linuxrc DEBCONF_PRIORITY=high"
>
> I doubt all of these are needed. At least root= and devfs= aren't
> in use any more on other d-i arches, same for linuxrc.

devfs=mount was previously needed, but joeyh removed that need. The
init= line has not been needed since a long time, not sure about the
ramdis_ksize and root/initrd options though, at least on my ppc boxes, i
don't need them, but then the ppc kernel is compiled with a default 8192
initrd size.

Friendly,

Sven Luther