Re: if something is not done, hppa will not have an installer for sarge

Kyle McMartin wrote:
> [Instead of directly CC'ing you Joey, I'm cross-posting to debian-boot]
>
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 12:54:59PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > I just want to make sure that you hppa folk realise that hppa is further
> > from having a working installer for sarge than any architecture aside
> > from perhaps s390. AFAIK only one person is working on it at all (and
> > he's currently away, and his time is split amoung other ports anyway).
> > The d-i port really needs more than one person working on it, if it's
> > going to ship with beta 4 of d-i. That's in two weeks.
> >
> > Note that hppa basically worked in mid-January, but it's not been kept
> > up.
> >

> The problem with hppa now, seems to be the same as what Richard Hirst
> reported in January. The initrd issues seem to have been taken care of,
> and now it's simply a segmentation fault causing problems.
>
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
> Mounted devfs on /dev
> Setting up filesystem, please wait ...
> umount: /initrd: Invalid argument
> Segmentation fault
> Segmentation fault
> [...]
>
> Is what I get when booting the latest netboot build on my 715/100XC.

There is a patch in the bts for this problem, #228375. I assme that a
fixed libc6 will be uploaded eventually, but in the meantime I'd hope
the workaround also in there, which Richard Hirst used, is enough to let
things be tested and let everything else be gotten working. Basically,
don't let this issue block you from working on the hppa port!

--
see shy jo