Re: Re: why must Debian call Taiwan a "Province of China"?

(original complete mail in -boot)

Quoting Tetralet (tetralet@pchome.com.tw):

> But, What the country name should be is not a technical issue.
>
> It is a political issue.

This is precisely why, in agreement with the Debian Project Leader,
the position is currently that Debian has no possibility to make a
choice based on political considerations.

As Martin wrote privately to me about this issue (I guess I could
quote him completely about this but I didn't receive his explicit
permission for that), we are not in the business of deciding which
name is correct. Following official standards is our only possibility
and, as he wrote, "If people disagree with the standard, they should
take it up with the standards body", which I perfectly agree with.

As I wrote many many many many times now, we will make our best to
avoid hurting people's feelings. Giving you, the Traditional Chinese
translator, an opportunity to choose whichever translation you prefer
for TW, is a way to do this. Allowing the so-called "short" list is
another (a patch has been submitted and is under investigation).

This is a compromise as I already wrote many many many many times. If
you insist on bringing things on the political field, you know that
politics are made of compromises.

Please accept that one until we find a better solution. Please update
packages/languagechooser/languagelist.l10n as I requested you for a
few days now. *this* is definitely something that will make things
progress towards an acceptable solution.

> I recommend to use the country code data from "icu-data" package.
> I know some country codes form "icu-data" package do not conform to ISO-3166,
> But, they are more simple, and less controversial wording.

And incorrect. And this not only for TW. This is why I see no
enhancement bringed by icu-data, except satisfying your
requests....with the price of more work to all other 37 translators
(translating the icu-data list) and other headaches when people will
start complaining about the name of this or that country.

icu-data is by no way a standard. They claim they use ISO-3166, but
they don't. In the TW case, this may look like an enhancement, but
what for other countries for which they arbitrarily changed official
"short" names?