Re: /etc/fstab

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 10:18:04PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> > Someone mentioned UUIDs on IRC the other day and it sounds
> > interesting; but can you give a specific example for those you've
> > never seen this before?

Joey's example pretty much covered it. It'd just be UUID=<big string> for
the UUID model. See fstab(5) for more enlightenment.

> Note that you can't use labels for / (or there's no point, as the kernel
> mounts it). My setup is notable in that I can remove any number of the 4
> drives and the system will still boot from one of the remaining root*
> partitions, and despite any scsi renumbering, will still find and mount
> /home, etc (if its drive is still available). This is nice, since the
> server is thousands of miles away.

You can use it for the root filesystem. I think I saw it done with LILO
(trying to recollect my RHCE course), where it passed "root=LABEL=root" to
the kernel as a parameter.

regards

Andrew