Re: /etc/fstab

Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> Someone mentioned UUIDs on IRC the other day and it sounds
> interesting; but can you give a specific example for those you've
> never seen this before?

I've never used UUIDs, but here for example is the setup with labels on
my 4-drive scsi server:

/dev/sda1       /               ext3    errors=remount-ro       0	1
LABEL=home      /home           ext3    defaults                0       2
LABEL=backup    /backup         ext3    defaults                0       2
LABEL=homebackup /backup/kite/home      ext3    defaults        0       2
LABEL=root2     /backup/root2   ext3    noauto                  0       2
LABEL=root3     /backup/root3   ext3    noauto                  0       2
LABEL=root4     /backup/root4   ext3    auto                    0       2
LABEL=svn       /svn            ext3    defaults                0       2

Note that you can't use labels for / (or there's no point, as the kernel
mounts it). My setup is notable in that I can remove any number of the 4
drives and the system will still boot from one of the remaining root*
partitions, and despite any scsi renumbering, will still find and mount
/home, etc (if its drive is still available). This is nice, since the
server is thousands of miles away.

It would look similar with UUIDs, except without the nice names.

--
see shy jo