Re: /etc/fstab

* Andrew Pollock <apollock@debian.org> [2004-04-12 10:05]:
> Is it partman that takes care of creating /etc/fstab in the
> installation target?

Yes, at least on those platforms using partman (some, such as mips and
s390 will continue to use partconf which uses the partconf-mkfstab
package for /etc/fstab).  In partman, all filesystems have a /fstab.d/
directory with a files outputting a proper fstab entry.

> Just wondering if it's worthwhile getting with the times (compared to Red
> Hat) and using filesystem labels or UUIDs in /etc/fstab instead of block
> devices? It's certainly better for SCSI systems when a disk fails.
>
> I only discovered UUID support today, which in my mind, negates the value in
> packaging devlabel for Debian.

Someone mentioned UUIDs on IRC the other day and it sounds
interesting; but can you give a specific example for those you've
never seen this before?

Also, can we use UUIDs and old /dev/xx names together?
--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com