Re: d-i oldworld mac: floppies fail on 4400/200 and 7200/75

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 02:13:50AM -0400, Rick_Thomas wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 16:02, Frans Pop wrote:
> >
> > On Friday 09 April 2004 21:49, Rick Thomas wrote:
> > > This is OldWorld PowerMac.
> > >
> > > Booting off of floppy uses the miboot bootloader.  It's not like lilo or
> > > grub on i386.  There's no point in the process where you get to enter
> > > that kind of stuff.
> > >
> > That means you'd probably like one of the first questions the installer asks
> > to be "At which level would you like to install: normal, medium, expert".
> > Or something like that.
> > (There have been several discussions on the list about the best naming of the
> > different levels.)
> >
> > Personally I wouldn't mind a question like that for i386, but it looks like it
> > is necessary for your platform.
>
> Yes.  I'd say that something like that is necessary for full
> functionality on OldWorld Macs.
>
> Actually, I'd go much farther than that.  Here's part of my wish-list
> for my dream installer someday:
>
> I'd like to be able -- easily, simply, and transparently -- to navigate
> up and down the detail hierarchy at will.
>
> For example, here's one possible way to do what I'd like.  There are a
> whole universe of other ways, many probably much better than this one.
> This is just the first one that came to my mind.
>
> At any point in the process, the user should be able to hit "escape" (or
> some other key -- "escape" just has the advantage that it's mnemonic for
> "stepping out of line") and immediately switch to the next more detailed
> level of configuration questions.  Some other key (maybe "alt-escape"?)
> should do the opposite -- shift to the next less detailed level.

Well, i was thinking of an escape key, which would pop up a priority
selecting dialog, with maybe some additional stuff (fill an online bug
report, abort the install and reboot, ...)

Proper checkpoints are apparently needed to show places were aborting a
task is possible without messing everything up.

Friendly,

Sven Luther