Re: install help: boot floopies + sarge-i386-netinst.iso (d-i beta3)

> Andrés A. Rocchia wrote:
>> Hello, first sorry for my english I´m trying to improve it :)
>>
>>  I´m trying to install debian sarge with boot floppies and
>> sarge-i386-netinst.iso (d-i beta3) mounted as a loop device in the
>> ramdisk.
>>
>>  I put the sarge-i386-netinst.iso in a ext2 partition /dev/hda6
>> (/home) then boot with the boot floppies (boot.img and root.img),
>> then I use the cd-drivers floppy and mount the
>> sarge-i386-netinst.iso in /sarge_cd as a loop device.
>>
>>  Now I want to tell to d-i that go with the instalation from there
>> (/sarge_cd) but I don´t know how to do that. Can someone give me
>> some help?
>
> Congratulations, you've managed to find an unsupported combination
> of
> installation media! I thought we had all the combinations covered..

I win a prize for that? :-)

> Is there any reason why you can't use the hd-media installation
> method,
> which involves booting d-i from the hard disk using grub, lilo,
> loadlin,
> etc)? That method should be well supported and I'd expect it would
> work
> on your hardware.

No, I have no trouble with others hd-media installation methods, I
thougth that with an already mounted cd (as a loop device) in the
ramdisk it will be easy to continue from there. When I install
woody, I do with the boot floppies and the basedebs.tar in the hd,
the installer automatically found it for me. Now I want to install
sarge in a similar way, for that my question.

> If you have a good reason not to want to do that, I could be
> convinced
> to add another driver floppy for d-i, this would be a hd-media
> driver
> floppy which you'd load after booting. It would then let the
> installer
> see your hard disk, proceed as it would in the standard hd-media
> install. The only catch is that we cannot fit drivers for all hard
> disks
> on a floppy, so it would likely be limited to supporting IDE and
> common
> SCSI controllers.

 I haven´t a particular reason for not try with another method but
it will be great is that was possible, may be in sarge+1 ?

 Thankyou very much for answer my question and for the great job
with d-i!!

AR

PS: again sorry for my english :)