Re: install help: boot floopies + sarge-i386-netinst.iso (d-i beta3)

Andrés A. Rocchia wrote:
> Hello, first sorry for my english I´m trying to improve it :)
>
>  I´m trying to install debian sarge with boot floppies and
> sarge-i386-netinst.iso (d-i beta3) mounted as a loop device in the
> ramdisk.
>
>  I put the sarge-i386-netinst.iso in a ext2 partition /dev/hda6
> (/home) then boot with the boot floppies (boot.img and root.img),
> then I use the cd-drivers floppy and mount the
> sarge-i386-netinst.iso in /sarge_cd as a loop device.
>
>  Now I want to tell to d-i that go with the instalation from there
> (/sarge_cd) but I don´t know how to do that. Can someone give me
> some help?

Congratulations, you've managed to find an unsupported combination of
installation media! I thought we had all the combinations covered..

Is there any reason why you can't use the hd-media installation method,
which involves booting d-i from the hard disk using grub, lilo, loadlin,
etc)? That method should be well supported and I'd expect it would work
on your hardware.

If you have a good reason not to want to do that, I could be convinced
to add another driver floppy for d-i, this would be a hd-media driver
floppy which you'd load after booting. It would then let the installer
see your hard disk, proceed as it would in the standard hd-media
install. The only catch is that we cannot fit drivers for all hard disks
on a floppy, so it would likely be limited to supporting IDE and common
SCSI controllers.

--
see shy jo