Re: [USABILITY] Usability test of Debian Installer beta 3

Joey Hess wrote:
> step 10:  (debian-installer)
> 	It should be possible to reword the prompt on the help screens
> 	to make clearer that enter boots the system. I'll see what I can
> 	do.

Done.

> step 21:  (anna)
> 	This mess has been on my list to fix for a while, but it's
> 	nontrivial. The retreivers need to be extended to have failure
> 	handling capabilities, instead of this generic handler; the
> 	failure handler for the floppy should re-prompt for the floppy
> 	if none was found.

I took another look at it, and it's not that hard. My current
implementaton adds a new command to the retriever spec:

retriever error failing_command
        This command can be called if one of the other commands seems to
        have failed, perhaps by returning bad data.

        The failing_command field tells the retriever command that
        previously failed. For example, it might be "packages" is package
        retrieval failed, or the Packages file cannot be parsed.

        The retriever can take any necessary actions to recover (or ask the
        user if they want to retry, if the medium is unreliable or absent).
        If the recovery succeeds, it should exit 0. If recovery failed, it
        should display an informative error message if necessary, and exit 2.

        Retievers should implement this command, but temporarily for
        backwards compatability, if a retriever exits 1, it is assumed
        that it did not support this command, and anna will display its
        own (ugly) error message.

I have an implementation for the floppy retreiver and the particular
error that's generated when there is not a driver floppy in the drive.
If this looks ok, we will need to add the error command to all the other
retrievers eventually, and add support for the other possible errors in
anna.

I rather like this becase it also deals with the case where downloading
installer components fails because of a transient network problem. This
will let the user choose to try downloading a component again. It could
even let the user choose a new mirror.

--
see shy jo