RE: why must Debian call Taiwan a "Province of China"?

Erik Steffl wrote:
> That's why I think it is better to use standard names, even though some
> of them might be objectionable from certain perspectives.

But that's the point!  The name is objectionable from a technical
perspective: it's unnecessarily long and bulky.  We are not writing
"Germany (Federal Republic of)", so why write "Taiwan (Province of
China)"?  Just because some piece of paper says it?

> Now if debian decides to make a political statement and call taiwan
> taiwan I am kinda for it, but let's not pretend that it's not a
> political statement, that it's neutral.

The ISO standard is the thing that's being a political statement, not the
other way round.  Technically, we should just call Taiwan "Taiwan".