Re: loop device install or how to skip partman ?

On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 01:28:10PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Bill Allombert wrote:
> > Hello Debian-installer team,
> >
> > After testing beta 1 and beta 2, I tried beta 3, with the
> > same goal in mind: install Debian in a file using a loop
> > device.
> >
> > As far as I could see, all beta detected the hardware of
> > the box fine.
> >
> > beta 1 and 2 lacked the minimal support to create loop device,
> > but the situation has improved : now there is a 'dd' utility and 'mount'
> > support '-oloop' provide we issue modprobe loop before calling mount
> > (which I found a bit confusing, it would be better if the module was
> > autoloaded, but never mind). There is no 'losetup' but it is probably not
> > neccessary.
>
> Sounds like you have all the pieces you need to write a partman-loop
> module that adds loopback support directly to partman.

Not really... Also my goal is to see whether d-i is able to handle
oddball situations where the `classical' install scheme is not suitable.
In this regard, b-f was excellent, and d-i is steadily improving.

> > Now, the problem is that I can't find any way to skip the 'partman'
> > step of d-i. b-f conveniently detected that /target existed and
> > allow to go to 'install base system' directly.
>
> Just mount /target, edit /var/lib/dpkg/status to mark partman as already
> configured, and skip over it in the menu.

Thanks, it works. At this point I can install the base system but
now installing kernel-image-2.4.25-1-386 fail:
/usr/bin/mkinitrd: Cannot determine root device.
E: sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned with an error codde (1)

Of course I need to use my custom initrd able to boot a loop device.

Well, I edited /var/lib/dpkg/status again to skip base-installer and I
tried prebaseconfig which was not an huge success.
(tzconfig failed) and the tty was generally messed up so dselect is
unusable.

Probably a more convenient way to tell d-i to skip an installation step
could be useful.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>