Re: DHCP failure during install

russh347@charter.net wrote:
> The last several daily builds of both the businesscard and netinst isos have all exhibited problems with DHCP because af_packet failed to load.
>
> The workaround we have been using is 'modprobe af_packet', then retry DHCP.  The text of the relevant syslog message is below.  There is nothing about this in dmesg.
>
> Apr  1 10:45:12 (none) user.info netcfg[6755]: FATAL: Error inserting af_packet (/lib/modules/2.4.25-1-386/kernel/net/packet/af_packet.o): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

Kenshi Muto apparently fixed this in subversion:

  * Kenshi Muto
    - modprobe in busybox won't load af_packet. This causes DHCP
      configuration fail.
      This can be avoid by running modprobe without '/sbin/'.

But I don't understand this fix, as modprobe is in /sbin/ anyway. Also, I
can't reproduce the problem with the current unfixed version of netcfg, it
loads af_packet just fine. Kenshi?

(Removing unnecessary hardcoded paths is a good thing anyway, of course.)

--
see shy jo