Re: About that Alpha kernel bug mentioned in beta3 errata

Hi Bjoern,

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 12:44:48AM +0200, Bjoern Brill wrote:
> if that bug (alpha cannot install from SCSI cdrom) is the one mentioned in
> <http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/debian-boot-200401/msg00374.html>,
> then I've run into it as well with a daily build shortly before d-i beta3.
> Is this fixed now? If not here is some additional info:
> On my system (an AS 2100A "Lynx" btw, cool these are supported now):

> # cd /dev/cdroms
> # ls -l
>         lr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 34 Jan 1 1970 cdrom0 -> yyyscsi/host0/bus0/target6/lun0/cd
>         [actually, the 'y's are y with dieresis, 0xff in ISO-8859-1]

Yes, this is the same bug.  The beta3 on alpha released with a 2.4.24
kernel.  Could I ask you to test out a more recent daily snapshot, to
confirm for me whether this bug still exists in the 2.4.25-based images?
Since I have no SCSI cdrom's at hand, I can't exactly test for this,
though I'm happy to work on debugging the code if that's where the
problem lies.

If it turns out to be a gcc optimization problem, I'm afraid I'm out of
my depth where debugging kernels is concerned.

Thanks,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer