USB Mass Storage installation

I'm building a new USB mass storage device from the 0329 netinstall.iso:

Using the installation manual section 4.4.1:

zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sda
(was gzip -cd and not zcat)
mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt
cp sarge-i386-netinst.iso /mnt
sync (I added this)
umount /mnt

Not much left of my USB device.
Can't mount it or do anything with it after this, but it will start a boot session. I am trying to mount it using 'mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt' on a SuSE machine ( no debian yet ... ). mounting /dev/sda doesn't work either:
loki:/home/tallison # mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda,
       or too many mounted file systems

However, I was hoping to use this as a starting point for pulling in daily builds and doing install tests. But recovering from this is pretty tough to do.

I have a 256MB stick.

I have not yet tried the method in section 4.4.2