Re: BIDI support in Debian Installer : help needed

Quoting Petter Reinholdtsen (pere@hungry.com):
> [Christian Perrier]
> > Second stage will NOT be possible because this implies changing the
> > "normal" slang libraries and add libfribidi0 to the base system. As
> > the base system freeze is decided, it is very unlikely that the
> > Release Manager, Antony Towns, decides about an exception.
>
> This is really sad.  If we are going to have a chance to push Debian
> into the middle east and the arabic countries, we need to have BIDI
> support all the way.

What is sad, indeed, is that we had time for this. The Arabic work
started on early January, when it was still time to make the needed
changes.

Unfortunately, it appeared that no enough skilled contributor has been
able to give enough time for working on BIDI support until very
recently.

This is one of our (Debian) weaknesses, I'm afraid. We have no control
over which resources are working on which part of the distribution.
I some important topic needs work but noone cares of it or is impacted
by it...it may remains without any activity for ages...

I haven't completely lost hope for a possible exception to the base
system freeze, however. Mostly because I feel a bit guilty for not
having yelled loud enough.