Re: BIDI support in Debian Installer : help needed

Quoting Anmar Oueja (anmar@canada.com):
> Hello Alastair:
>
> Can you tell me when this version of fribidi and its patch to slang are
> gonna be in the Debian installer as I like to have them tested ASAP. I
> want to get some screen shots to get the translators motivated to get
> Arabic Support there ASAP :)

The work is currently not done by Alastair (busy busy busy man...).

Shlomi Loubaton made some preliminary work by patching slang and
introducing a new function for displaying BIDI text.

He (Shlomi) built a slang package with his modifications. The package
builds..but the slang libs are not linked against libfribidi0 as they
should.

After a few IRC talks and a promise for a few hydro-alcoholic beverages
at debconf4, Steve Langasek (well known as vorlon) mentioned he will
try to look into slang build scripts. Steve is also a busy man
(release team, samba package maintainer an zillions of other things
I'm not even aware of)....so this may need some time

I will then test the modified slang libraries with the geneweb package
templates (I have Hebrew in it).

If this is OK, the udeb will be tested on Debian Installer (also
including libfribidi0.....for which we will probably need a udeb)

If this is OK, patches will be submitted:

- to slang package, for building it with Shlomi changes and build a
udeb linked with libfribidi0 (the normal deb will NOT BE because of
the base system freeze)

- to fribidi for building a udeb only containing the library

When both will be implemented in these two packages and uploaded, we
will be able to change Debian Installer pkg-lists so that they include
libfribidi-udeb

Finally if all this ands up before release...we will have a BIDIfied
first stage.

Second stage will NOT be possible because this implies changing the
"normal" slang libraries and add libfribidi0 to the base system. As
the base system freeze is decided, it is very unlikely that the
Release Manager, Antony Towns, decides about an exception.