Re: corrections

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 09:02:23PM +0000, simon@nuit.ca wrote:

> hi,
>
> i was lurking/reading the d-b posts, and i saw a couple of mistakes
> (common errors) and some big glaring - to me - errors.
>
> 1) m68k macs DO NOT boot from mac os 8.5/8.6, only 8.1 or under;
> 2) the same machines cannot boot from HFS+ only HFS (not really
> relevant, just to round out the info)
> 3) regarding having to have mac os installed (however small), would
> immediately put stuff (d-i ?) into non-free
>
> <rant>
> having a non-free os to boot the machine defeats the purpose of having a
> free one installed. it's a kludge. one that i would prefer avoiding. i
> install debian onto many oldworld pmacs, and not having mac os there is
> a blessing. let's not go into the bad old days of having to use bootx to
> boot to linux. you might as well just not install linux (i don't even
> have mac driver partitions on my drives, i *don't* need them).
> </rant>

Agreed, still some find this more acceptable to doing a small exception
for bootloaders though.

> 4) um, since when is quik bootable from cd? AFAIK, this isn't doable. if
> you have info on how to do this, sven, please tell us.

Benh mentioned it to me, since he is the miboot upstream author, and the
main powermac linux kernel maintainer, i have tendency to approve him.

> 5) yaboot2 is coming along, but too slowly to make it into sarge/stable.

Huh, i heard about yaboot2 since over 6 month now, it was not usable
back then, and i didn't really see lots of contributors on the yaboot
mailing lists since then.

> AFAIK this would put oldworld (at least some less borked OF/hardware
> combos, like the later pmacs (7300-9600) on more or less the same
> footing as newworld. but that's dreaming (dreaming on getting it to
> released sarge, not into the non-vapourware status).

Yeah.

Friendly,

Sven Luther