corrections

hi,

i was lurking/reading the d-b posts, and i saw a couple of mistakes
(common errors) and some big glaring - to me - errors.

1) m68k macs DO NOT boot from mac os 8.5/8.6, only 8.1 or under;
2) the same machines cannot boot from HFS+ only HFS (not really
relevant, just to round out the info)
3) regarding having to have mac os installed (however small), would
immediately put stuff (d-i ?) into non-free

<rant>
having a non-free os to boot the machine defeats the purpose of having a
free one installed. it's a kludge. one that i would prefer avoiding. i
install debian onto many oldworld pmacs, and not having mac os there is
a blessing. let's not go into the bad old days of having to use bootx to
boot to linux. you might as well just not install linux (i don't even
have mac driver partitions on my drives, i *don't* need them).
</rant>

4) um, since when is quik bootable from cd? AFAIK, this isn't doable. if
you have info on how to do this, sven, please tell us.

5) yaboot2 is coming along, but too slowly to make it into sarge/stable.
AFAIK this would put oldworld (at least some less borked OF/hardware
combos, like the later pmacs (7300-9600) on more or less the same
footing as newworld. but that's dreaming (dreaming on getting it to
released sarge, not into the non-vapourware status).

--
| ,''`.   http://www.debian.org/  | http://www.nuit.ca/             |