Re: USB Mass Storage installation

Tom Allison wrote:
> Using the installation manual section 4.4.1:
>
> zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sda
> (was gzip -cd and not zcat)
> mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt
> cp sarge-i386-netinst.iso /mnt
> sync (I added this)
> umount /mnt
>
> Not much left of my USB device.
> Can't mount it or do anything with it after this, but it will start a
> boot session.  I am trying to mount it using 'mount -t vfat /dev/sda1

Well of course that won't work, boot.img.gz does not contain a partition
table. You have one single fat filesystem starting at the very beginning
of the device. /dev/sda.

> /mnt' on a SuSE machine ( no debian yet ... ).  mounting /dev/sda
> doesn't work either:
> loki:/home/tallison # mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda,
>        or too many mounted file systems

This is the exact same command you listed earlier as using before you
copied the iso onto the disk. So why doesn't it work now? Possibly
because USB storage can be fairly unreliable. Try ejecting the stick,
restarting hotplug, re-inserting it, rewriting it, and then mounting it.

--
see shy jo