Re: USB Mass Storage installation

Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
Il mar, 2004-03-30 alle 01:17, Tom Allison ha scritto:

I'm building a new USB mass storage device from the 0329 netinstall.iso:

Using the installation manual section 4.4.1:

zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sda
(was gzip -cd and not zcat)
mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt
cp sarge-i386-netinst.iso /mnt
sync (I added this)
umount /mnt

[...]

No sure about this, but I think it should be:
0. insterst USB and check in /var/log/syslog that it is
   recongnized as /dev/sda
1. zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sda
2. mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt
3. cp sarge-i386-netinst.iso /mnt
4. umount /mnt   (this will also sync)
5. reboot

The mount command require a partition name (/dev/sda1) and not a disk
name (/dev/sda). If this work then I think the installation manual
should be corrected too.

Bye,
Giuseppe

No, this is exactly correct and the manual was recently corrected because referencing /dev/sda1 will get you nothing.

My point was that this process of building a USB centric installation medium will work for an installation, but the USB device is somewhat messed up in the process.

I tried the other method in section 4.4.2 but could never get the image to boot from my USB device. even 'install-mbr' failed to help.