why does grub-installer prompt for a grub-style disk name?

Users report annoyance that d-i uses so many different user-visible disk
names. There are the partition descriptions in partman ("IDE0 slave",
whatever), devfs, and in the back of most people's minds, standard /dev
naming. That's bad enough, but grub-installer adds to this grub's own
naming. So I was suprised to notice that grub-install accepts /dev/
filenames. Is there some reason to not use them by default?

If we did, then we could get rid of the long and scary description in
the grub question about how grub device names are structured. We could
even run mapdevfs on the name first, to use a "nicer" non-devfs device
name. This would not be as nice as giving the user a menu of devices and
partitions, or integrating boot device selection into partman, but it
would fix 50% of the annoyance, and could be done easily and quickly.

--
see shy jo