Re: Sarge/beta-3 on a RS6000/7025-F50 (PPC 604e, CHRP)

On Mar 22, Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> > No, wait... we really want to use yaboot.
> And, are you sure yaboot works on PReP machines ? Not on CHRP boxes
I really don't know.
But at least on CHRP machines it *should* be used.

> > I used to dd the kernel on my B50 but had to stop after upgrading to 2.6
> > because newer kernels cannot be loaded without a boot loader.
> Mmm, have you more info on this ? I have no problem booting my
> pegasos/chrp with the 2.6.4 builtin chrp boot-loader.
I do not remember the details, but OF would try to load the kernel and
then go back to the prompt with some error message. I discussed this
with the PPC kernel hackers and everybody agreed that I should just use
yaboot.

> BTW, can you test the 2.4.25-4 kernel on this B50 of yours ? It should
> work, but it was never really tested.
It's a remote box, sorry. :-)

> > To install yaboot /usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot must be prepared with
> > /usr/lib/yaboot/addnote and then copied to the PReP partition.
> > yaboot is able to load plain zImage kernels.
> Ah, i had the understanding that yaboot only understands plain
> uncompressed elf vmlinux kernels.
I confirm this:

/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-b50: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC or cisco 4500, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, not stripped

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      1558724 Feb 20 02:35 /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-b50

--
ciao, |
Marco | [5238 adnS7z6YvJOAU]