Re: Sarge/beta-3 on a RS6000/7025-F50 (PPC 604e, CHRP)

In linux.debian.maint.boot Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

>Cool. BTW, is there anything particular needed for a PReP partition ? Or
No, it only needs to be a < 4 MB raw partition of type 0x41.

>I believe that we may create a PReP-bootloader-installer or something
>which would take care of moving the kernel to this partition. Not sure
>though how this would work out. A bit like what nobootloader does.
No, wait... we really want to use yaboot.
I used to dd the kernel on my B50 but had to stop after upgrading to 2.6
because newer kernels cannot be loaded without a boot loader.
And anyway yaboot is needed to be able to choose among different
kernels, easily add command line options and so on.

To install yaboot /usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot must be prepared with
/usr/lib/yaboot/addnote and then copied to the PReP partition.
yaboot is able to load plain zImage kernels.
Do not count on ybin to work...

>> When the installation finish and you reboot again.
>> At the SMS level:
>> Choose the disk you want to boot.
>> Go to OF prompt (F8)
>> o > printenv boot-device
>> Check the output
>> o > setenv boot-device <previous output>:1
>> BTW: I found that the disk I use has an alias named
>> "disk". To check that run
>> o > devalias
On my systems I use this instead:

setenv boot-device /pci@80000000/scsi@10/sd@2:

I think that OF will automatically look for the boot partition this way.

--
ciao,
Marco