Re: better bootloader drive selection

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:32:47 -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> I wonder if we could somehow integrate selection of what drive/partition
> to install a boot sector on into partman. Partman currently can be used
> to mark a partition as bootable or not. Maybe this is a good indicaton
> of whether a boot loader should be on it. So when a drive is marked
> bootable, what if a menu popped up asking if a boot loader should be
> installed. It could let it be installed in the MBR of the drive the
> partition is in, or to the partition, or not at all.
Well, it's ok to integrate the boot loader configuration into partman or
whatever partitioner. However I think it's not a good idea to associate
it with the "bootable" partition. Speaking for myself, I still use the OS/2
boot manager in first place. This means the BM partition is marked as
bootable and I want LILO or GRUB in the boot sector of my /boot partition...
(I know this is not a common setup, but it should be possible - there are
other boot manager's that may be used before the linux boot loaders.)

> Also add a check to partman so it makes sure exactly one partition is
> marked bootable,
That's a good point, ANY partitioner should do that.

> Heck, I don't really know why partitooners want
> us to mark drives as bootable at all..
Well, the BIOS needs to now from what partition (of the 4 possible primary
ones) to load and execute the boot sector.

Regards,
Stefan