better bootloader drive selection

I wonder if we could somehow integrate selection of what drive/partition
to install a boot sector on into partman. Partman currently can be used
to mark a partition as bootable or not. Maybe this is a good indicaton
of whether a boot loader should be on it. So when a drive is marked
bootable, what if a menu popped up asking if a boot loader should be
installed. It could let it be installed in the MBR of the drive the
partition is in, or to the partition, or not at all.

Also add a check to partman so it makes sure exactly one partition is
marked bootable, and warns if no boot loader will be installed. Then
just store that info in some simple form, such as the name of the device
in /dev, and let the boot loaders use it to install w/o prompting.

Could this work on i386? Everywhere? Good idea or not? This is not an
area I know much about. Heck, I don't really know why partitooners want
us to mark drives as bootable at all..

--
see shy jo