Re: countrychooser translations broken by iso-codes

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 07:15:10PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> I noticed that in many languages, countrychooser's menu item is
> displayed as a blank line. This includes Chinese, Japanese, Greek,
> Russian, Norwegian. Some investigation revealed that this is because
> mktemplates was is not set -e, so when debconf-updatepo failed, it
> continues and built a broken package. debconf-updatepo failed like this:
>
> xgettext: Non-ASCII string at ../templates.tmp:3.
>           Please specify the source encoding through --from-code.
> WARNING: It seems that none of the files in POTFILES.in contain marked strings
>
> This is because /usr/share/iso-codes/iso_3166.tab has added to it the Aland
> islands, excpet the A is spelled Ã?. I have put in a nasty hack to deal with
> this so we can get a working version of the package again, but I wonder if
> that file should include non-ascii strings?

>From the gettext point of view, having UTF-8 encoded English strings
is fine.  For po-debconf, I am waiting for a decision on #232296, but
would anyway prefer to wait after sarge before accepting non-ASCII
letters, because this will require gettext 0.13.

> Also, one last problem -- I noticed that even with these fixes, the generated
> templates file has blank lines for the nl translations.

Err, I thought I sent this mail yesterday :(
This is really weird; Christian patches to intltool-merge may cause
trouble since Perl warnings are printed.  But IMO these warnings are
harmless, I am able to reproduce similar errors with msgmerge only, and
they disappear when nl.po is UTF-8 encoded.  So I recoded this file into
UTF-8, and will investigate later.

Denis