Re: To partman or not to partman (was Re: release status)

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 08:11:42AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org):
>
> > What say you gentlemen?
>
> Based on what I know of partman and with newbie installation in mind,
> I would definitely say "go fo partman as default on i386 and as an
> option on other archs (except powerpc if it works OK for them?)".

Why do you say except powerpc ? Because it currently seems broken ?

I would definitively want to go full partman for powerpc, it is the
thing that makes more sense. Maybe it isn't even broken, just that i
wasn't patient enough to wait for it to show something on the screen
after a few minutes.

> It's some time since I tested it. The only big problem I found was the
> complexity of menus which sometimes could leave the user lost.....
>
> As André wrote, making it the default for beta3 will immediately
> trigger a lot of testing. I hope Anton is ready for this (we will all
> help, of course, but basically, partman is his beast).

And i will be willing to test all the stuff that needs testing for
powerpc, and fix it if needed.

Friendly,

Sven Luther