Re: partman review

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 05:23:48PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:

> I guess I didn't install those right. I've manged to get them to work,

How you did this?  So far all tests of partman-ext3 and partman-auto I
have done were using "make TYPE=.... demo".

With "make TYPE=.... demo" I am unable to reproduce the bugs with the
missing swap, forced ext3 and the strange /var/lib.  I suppose that
they all have one common reason related to cdebconf.

> a 2.1 gb logical partitoon (#5) that did not have a mount point
> assigned

This one had to be the missing swap space.

> * After selecting the abovementioned automatic partition scheme, I
>   decided to copy the contents of my usb key to /tmp using partman.
>   After a while, I got an error message, saying "GNU parted can not
>   resize this partition to this size. We're working on it!". I don't
>   understand, which partition, to which size, and why does a copy
>   involve resizing a partition?

This is funny!  Nor do I know, but I suppose that parted does first
sector by sector copy from the usb to the disk and afterwards resizes
the small file system to the full size of the partition.  The quick
fix is to remove this menu item, the slower is to reimplement it
without parted.

> * If I manually set up a single partition occupying the whole disk, then
>   go into automatic partitioning, tell it partition the entire drive,
>   and then go back from the next screen (the list of partitioning
>   schemes), my manually created partition is gone, and the whole drive
>   is free space.

I can reproduce this.

> * I am not l33t enough to use the "manually enter the partitioning
>   scheme (for experts only)". So who is? :-)

Nobody. :-)

I will hide this menu item.  It exists to allow non-interactive
installs of a group of computers where the partitioning scheme copies
the hand-made partitioning on the first computer.

Anton Zinoviev