Re: release status

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 09:41:57PM +0100, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> > - discover 2
> >	udebs exist, but there are space and testing issues.
> As some of you may have noticed I did not work much on this in
> particualr and on debian-installer in general in the last weeks. Until
> the end of March most of my time will be filled with learning for my
> university exams (math). I was way to lazy during the semester to have
> much time left to spend on other things... :-( So I won't have much time
> to work on discover until the planned beta3 release date. Sorry. I hope
> I will find more time to work on debian-installer and on Debian in
> general after the exams.
> If someone wants to take over the work on the discover package, just go
> for it. I don't object. You can download the my latest test packages
> from the pkg-discover website on alioth. Progeny has integrated many of
> my patches into their svn repo and released 2.0.3 today.

I also have to plead guilty here. I've been busy helping out the XSF,
trying to rework the xfree86 debconf stuff, hopefully to get some cruft
out of base-config as well as provide a much improved X configuration
experience for Debian users. I also haven't really sat down and figured out
discover2 beyond the very basics. While it looks good right now (and
Gaudenz has been doing great work) we've been waiting on Progeny to do
an upload, which personally gave me quite a bit of pause.

I don't know about the space issues, and from the looks of things, a lot
of the benefits of discover2 will be that it can potentially support
both 2.4 and 2.6 in the same config file, which discover1 simply can not
do. On the other hand, I think a lot of this work still needs to be
done, but that can't be done without a ton of bug reports from users
with the hardware that needs fixing. So we're kind of in a catch-22
there. Do we put discover2 in to d-i to get as much testing and hardware
support as we can before release? Do we go the conservative, if hobbled
route, and stick with discover1 at least through the beta3 release and
let some of the initial bugs get shaken out in unstable? I don't know.

One option is to do the latter, and send a request out to
-devel-announce asking for people to please install discover2 and submit
bugs so we can get them fixed fast. This, however, requires someone to
step in and do the basic grunt work of patching things as the bugs come
rolling in, and then to send those reports to Progeny for the next
upload.  If someone is willing to step in and do this, I feel like this
is the best option, because 2.6 support is an often requested feature of
d-i, and I'd hate to let people down after all this wait. If we can't
get someone to do this work, then I think leaving the known-to-be-
functional discover1 in place is probably best. I'd like to have time
for this, but I feel like the X debconf stuff is so horribly broken
currently that it needs to get fixed fast.

All this aside, I don't really know about or understand the space issues
with discover2 yet, so I can't comment on that. Someone would also have
to figure this out.

 - David Nusinow