Re: Current snapshot omission???

Stuart Sheldon wrote:
> Is network install support being removed from the project? I noticed on
> the latest snapshot there is no /install/net.gz file. I use this file
> along with the /install/vmlinuz kernel to tftpboot systems for install.

No, we still support that, but I see no reason to put that stuff on the
netinst CD. The purpose of the netinst CD is to be a small CD that can
be used to install debian's base from CD and the rest from the network.
I saw several users confused by the "net" option on that CD into thinking
that they needed to boot the net version to do such an install, and then
shoot themselves in the foot in doing so.

So now we have a small (3 mb) ISO image, netboot/mini.iso, that can be
booted to do a completly network based install, if someone wants to do
that for some reason.

I don't know why you'd want to use the ISO though for tftpboot, since in
the same place you can get netboot/initrd.gz and netboot/vmlinuz, and
use those directly. The netboot section of the INSTALLATION-HOWTO
explains about this and points to a detailed description of netbooting
d-i on i386.

By the way, the place to get the abovementioned images is either
http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/images/daily/ for daily builds, or
debian unstable for official images.

--
see shy jo