Re: chinese case in current languagechooser (was Re: Languagechooser changes)

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 04:26:30AM -0500, Rick_Thomas wrote:

> Politics keeps them from requesting different country-codes. "Sigh!",
> indeed, but that's a fact of life and we have to live with it.  Calling
> the different scripts by geographic designations will be sure to offend
> people.  As in the West, ownership of trademarks (in this case, the name
> "China") is a hotly contested issue.  It would be much safer to find a
> neutral designation (such as "Traditional" and "Simplified") that
> everybody can live with.

They *have* different country codes.  The issue is that both languages
claim the same *language* code, which is rather typical of this sort of
politics, as regions will typically wish to be recognized as the one
true holder of the standard for language $foo.  The difference from the
Norwegian case is quite clear, since in Norway, there is one country but
two languages, so there's no sense in trying to fight a geopolitical
battle over the language codes.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer