Re: Re: How to boot debian installer from grub?

ln_alan@sina.com wrote:
> Thanks a lot!
> It works after the boot commands change to this:
>  grub>kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram ramdisk_size=8192 devfs=mount,dall init=/linuxrc
>  grub>initrd (hd0,0)/initrd.gz
>  grub>boot

You shouldn't need the init=/linuxrc; debian-installer boots /sbin/init.

I have tried to document this install method for the INSTALLATION-HOWTO.
Could you please look over this and see if it seems to be accurate?

  2.5 Booting from hard disk

  It's possible to boot the installer using no removable media, but just an
  existing hard disk, which can have a different OS on it. These instructions
  are for i386 systems, such as those running windows. Download
  hd-media/initrd.gz, hd-media/vmlinuz, and a Debian CD image to the top-level
  directory of the hard disk. Make sure that the CD image has a filename
  ending in ".iso". Now it's just a matter of booting linux with the initrd.

  If you have grub installed, boot grub, and do the following:

  grub>kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram ramdisk_size=8192 devfs=mount,dall
  grub>initrd (hd0,0)/initrd.gz
  grub>boot

  Or you can use loadlin to boot linux from inside DOS (or early versions of
  Windows) with the same parameters. Ater the installer boots, it should
  find the ISO you placed on the hard disk, and continue with the install.
  You will not be able to reformat the partition the installer was booted
  from if you use this technique.

--
see shy jo